Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows state officeholders' top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings.
The data was last updated Aug. 16, 2019. For candidate committees, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019. For political action committees (PACs) connected to officeholders, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019.
This page is available because of the support of MCFN donors. To contribute, click here.
29TH HOUSE DISTRICT (Part of Oakland County)
Current representative: Rep. Brenda Carter (D-Pontiac) is the representative for the 29th House District. The district includes the cities of Auburn Hills, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake Village, Pontiac and Sylvan Lake, according to House Democrats. According to Carter's official website, Carter joined the Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks in 1975 where she has held various local and state positions including state director of education and national positions.
Rep. Carter was first elected to the Michigan House in 2018, taking office in 2019.
A look at the 29th House District is here.
Rep. Carter raises money through a candidate committee, Committee to Elect Brenda Carter.
TALLY: Top Disclosed Donors To Carter And Connected Committees From 2018 To The Present
1. Brenda Carter, $10,068
2. A Better Michigan PAC, $6,000
3. Michigan Education Association, MEA PAC, $2,750
4. Samona family, Wild Bill’s Tobacco, $2,000
5. Wilkins family, Pontiac, $1,999
6. Realtors PAC, $1,500
7. Timothy and Amy Shepard, developer, $1,500
8. CMS Energy Employees for Better Government, $1,500
9. DiBartolomeo family, Metal Building Supply, $1,500
10. Many tied at $1,000
Top donors to Committee to Brenda Carter for 2019-2020:
1. A Better Michigan PAC, $6,000
2. Samona family, Wild Bill’s Tobacco, $2,000
3. Timothy and Amy Shepard, developer, $1,500
4. Marshall Greenspan, Bloomfield Hills, $1,000
5. Kevin Green, Bashore Green Law Group, $1,000
6. Robert Hynes, real estate agent, $1,000
7. Rachel Griffeth, Green Skyes, $1,000
8. Michigan Health & Hospital Association, Health PAC, $1,000
9. Marcelus Brice, lobbyist, $1,000
10. Mike Yaldoo, Bloomfield Hills, $750
Top donors to Committee to Brenda Carter for 2018:
1. Brenda Carter, $10,068
2. Michigan Education Association PAC, $2,250
3. Wilkins family, Pontiac, $1,999
4. Realtors PAC, $1,500
5. DiBartolomeo family, Metal Building Supply, $1,500
6. Amir Daize, $1,000
7. Emily's List, $1,000
8. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, $1,000
9. Matthew Farris, Elektricity, $1,000
10. Janel Stone, Rochester Hills, $1,000
11. Martin Coats, 5th Avenue, $1,000
12. CMS Energy Employees for Better Government, $1,000
13. Michigan Laborers Political League, $1,000
14. Elder Fund for Michigan, Brian Elder, $1,000
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.