Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows state officeholders' top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings.
The data was last updated Aug. 16, 2019. For candidate committees, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019. For political action committees (PACs) connected to officeholders, the numbers cover through July 20, 2019.
This page is available because of the support of MCFN donors. To contribute, click here.
88TH HOUSE DISTRICT (Portion of Ottawa County)
Current representative: Rep. Luke Meerman (R-Coopersville) currently represents the 88th District, which includes Allendale, Georgetown, Tallmadge, Wright, Chester, Coopersville and Polkton. According to his official website, Meerman is a small business owner and fifth-generation dairy farmer. He previously served as a Polkton Township trustee.
Rep. Meerman was first elected to the House in 2018, taking office in 2019.
A map of the 88th House District is available here.
TALLY: Top disclosed donors to Meerman And Connected Committees from 2018 to the present
1. Michigan Farm Bureau, $11,000
2. Vande Bunte family, Vande Bunte Eggs, $5,000
3. Meeuwsen family, Zeeland Farm Services, $4,900
4. Bill Henke, Henke Farm, $3,500
5. Michael McGraw, East Brook Homes, $2,500
6. Tom Helmstetter, Lighthouse Group, $2,500
7. Daniel Hibma, Land & Co., $2,250
8. House Republican Campaign Committee, Michigan Republican Party, $2,000
9. Realtors PAC, $1,800
10. TGIF Victory Fund, $1,500
Top donors to Citizens to Elect Luke Meerman for State House for 2019-2020:
1. House Republican Campaign Committee, Michigan Republican Party, $2,000
2. Matthew Moroun, Central Transport, $1,000
3. Blue Cross Blue Shield, $500
4. Robert Wollack, Wolverine Human Services, $500
5. Realtors PAC, $300
6. Michigan Chamber of Commerce PAC, $250
7. Keurig Dr. Pepper, $250
8. CMS Energy, $250
9. Michigan Greenstone PAC, $250
10. Friends of Grand Valley State, $250
11. Michigan McDonalds PAC, $250
Top donors to Meerman Majority Fund for 2019-2020:
1. Vande Bunte family, Vande Bunte Eggs, $5,000
2. Michael McGraw, East Brook Homes, $2,500
3. Karen Meeuwsen, Holland, $2,500
4. Tom Helmstetter, Lighthouse Group, $2,500
5. Willem Henke, Henke Farm, $2,500
6. Daniel Hibma, Land & Co., $2,000
7. Michigan Farm Bureau, $1,000
8. Brian Bosgraaf, Cottage Home, $1,000
9. Lisa Mol, ACC-Sell Management, $1,000
10. Bruce Johnson, Captrust Financial Advisor, $1,000
11. Harley Sietsema, Sietsema Farms, $1,000
12. Sidney Jansma, Dominion Development, $1,000
13. Chad Tuttle, Spectrum Health, $1,000
14. William Patmos, Sunrise Farm, $1,000
Top donors to Citizens to Elect Luke Meerman for State House for 2018:
1. Michigan Farm Bureau, $10,000
2. Meeuwsen family, Zeeland Farm Services, $2,000
3. Realtors PAC, $1,500
4. Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce, $1,000
5. Bill Henke, dairy farmer, $1,000
6. TGIF Victory Fund, $1,000
7. CMS Energy Employees for Better Government, $1,000
8. Eric Elmer, Kentwood, $1,000
9. Marvin Rubingh, Ellsworth, $1,000
10. Thomas Victory, Grandville, $1,000
11. Michigan Strategic Leadership, Jim Lilly, $750
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at email@example.com.