Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows their top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings. You can search for an official through the search tool below.
The data was last updated Feb. 21, 2017.
1ST SENATE DISTRICT (A portion of Wayne County)
Current senator: Sen. Coleman Young (D-Detroit) currently holds the 1st Senate District. He serves on the Senate Appropriations Committee and as minority vice chair of the Local Government Committee. According to the Senate Democrats, he served as the elected Democratic state representative for the 4th District for two terms.
A map of the 1st Senate District is available here.
Sen. Young raises money through a candidate committee, Coleman A. Young For Detroit.
TALLY: Top Disclosed Donors To Sen. Young From 2011 Until The Present:
1. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers, $8,261
2. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $4,600
3. Auto Dealers of Michigan PAC, $3,490
4. DTE Energy Co. PAC, $3,230
5. Michigan Credit Union Fund, $2,250
6. Ford Motor Civic Action Fund, $2,120
7. AT&T Michigan PAC, $1,780
8. Teamsters Drive PAC, $1,500
9. Michigan Optometric Association PAC, $1,420
10. CMS Energy Employees for Better Government, $1,420
Top donors to Coleman A. Young For Detroit for 2015-2016:
1. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $2,600
2. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers PAC, $2,300
3. Michigan Credit Union Fund, $2,250
4. Auto Dealers of Michigan PAC, $1,500
5. Teamsters Drive PAC, $1,500
6. Ford Motor Company Civic Action Fund, $1,300
7. DTE Energy Company PAC, $1,050
8. Comerica Inc. PAC, $1,000
9. Lee Schear, $1,000
10. Operating Engineers Local 324 PAC, $1000
11. Axcess Financial Services Inc Pac, $1,000
12. Delta PAC, $750
13. CRAM-RUSH PAC, $600
14. General Motors, $550
Top donors to Coleman A. Young For Detroit for 2011-2014:
1. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association PAC, $5,961
2. DTE Energy Co. PAC, $2,180
3. Auto Dealers of Michigan PAC, $2,090
4. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan,BCBSM PAC, $2,000
5. AT&T Michigan PAC, $1,780
6. Ford Motor Civic Action Fund, $1,320
7. Comcast Corp. PAC, COMPAC, $1,250
8. CMS Energy Employees for Better Government, $1,120
9. Michigan Optometric Association PAC, $1,120
10. AFSCME P.E.O.P.L.E., $1,000
11. Moroun, Matthew, $1,000
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at email@example.com.