Following The Money: This page is designed to help the public find out who’s funding their elected officials. The information shows state officeholders' top donors over time across a variety of giving methods. The data comes from the Secretary of State’s database and IRS filings.
The data was last updated March 11, 2019, covering disclosures available through Dec. 31, 2018.
This page is available because of the support of MCFN donors. To contribute, click here.
85TH HOUSE DISTRICT (Shiawassee County and a portion of Saginaw County)
Current representative: The current representative for the 85th District is Rep. Ben Frederick (R-Owosso). The district includes Shiawassee County and Brady, Brant, Chapin, Chesaning, Fremont, Jonesfield, Lakefield, Maple Grove, Marion and Richland townships in Saginaw County, according to the House Republicans. He is chair of the House Workforce and Talent Development Committee and a member of the Commerce and Trade, Local Government and Agriculture committees, according to House Republicans.
Rep. Frederick was first elected to the House in 2016, taking office in 2017. According to Rep. Frederick's official website, he served as a legislative staff member for 14 years in both the Michigan House and Senate, including time as chief of staff to former state Sen. Roger Kahn.
A map of the 85th District is available here.
Rep. Frederick raises money through a candidate committee, Ben Frederick for State Representative, and a leadership PAC, Building Experience Now PAC (BEN PAC). The leadership PAC launched in August 2017.
TALLY: Top Disclosed Donors To Rep. Frederick And Connected Committees From 2015 Until The Present
1. Ben Frederick, $21,255
2. Chatfield Majority Funds, Lee Chatfield, $18,800
3. Michigan Jobs Fund, Roger Kahn, $15,000
4. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association, $9,200
5. DeVos family, Amway, $9,000
6. Michigan Values Leadership Fund, Tom Leonard, $7,500
7. Michigan Health & Hospital Association PAC, $5,000
8. Business Leaders for Michigan, $5,000
9. Health Care Association of Michigan, HCAM PAC, $3,500
10. Michigan Association for Justice, Justice PAC, $3,500
Top donors to Ben Frederick for State Representative 2017-2018:
1. Chatfield Majority Fund 2, Lee Chatfield, $7,500
2. Chatfield Majority Fund, Lee Chatfield, $6,500
3. Michigan Jobs Fund, Roger Kahn, $5,000
4. Ben Frederick, state representative, $5,000
5. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association, $3,700
6. Michigan Association for Justice, $3,500
7. Michigan Health & Hospital Association, Health PAC, $3,000
8. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, $2,250
9. Michigan Operating Engineers Local 324, $2,500
10. Michigan Credit Union League, $2,500
11. Realtors PAC of Michigan, $2,300
Top donors to Building Experience Now PAC (BEN PAC) 2017-2018:
1. Michigan Jobs Fund, Roger Kahn, $6,000
2. Business Leaders for Michigan PAC, $5,000
3. Health Care Association of Michigan, HCAM PAC, $3,500
4. Michigan Building & Construction Trades PAC, $2,500
5. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association, $2,500
6. Chatfield Majority Fund 2, Lee Chatfield, $2,500
7. Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association (MITA), $2,000
8. Bryan Marks, Great Lakes Fusion, $2,000
9. Michigan Health & Hospital Association PAC, $2,000
10. CMS Energy PAC, $2,000
11. Michigan Restaurant Association PAC, $1,250
Top donors to Ben Frederick for State Representative 2015-2016:
1. Ben Frederick, legislative staffer, $16,255
2. DeVos family, $9,000
3. Michigan Values Leadership Fund, Tom Leonard, $7,500
4. Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association, $3,000
5. Michigan Jobs Fund, Roger Kahn, $3,000
6. Voorheis family, Washington Business center, $3,000
7. Michigan Farm Bureau, Agri PAC, $2,500
8. Michigan Chamber PAC, $2,500
9. Chatfield Majority Fund, Lee Chatfield, $2,300
10. Greater Rochester Leadership Fund, $2,150
11. Michigan Association of Collection Agencies PAC, $2,000
12. VerHeulen Leadership Fund, Rob VerHeulen, $2,000
13. 4th Congressional GOP District Committee, $2,000
14. Kojaian family, Kojaian Companies, $2,000
15. Jandernoa family, 42 North Partners, $2,000
16. Auto Dealers of Michigan, $2,000
Campaign finance reports can be found in the Michigan Secretary of State's campaign finance database. If you see an error in the above data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.