Record fundraising by top PACs in 2014
Michigan's top 150 state PACs raised a record $68 million in the 2014 election cycle. Recently filed PAC reports also disclosed for the first time - 100 days after Election Day - more than $3 million in independent expenditures that were made to influence the November 2014 election. That is disgraceful.
- Press Release: Record $68M fundraising by top PACs in 2014 cycle
- Top 150 Michigan state PACs, 2014 cycle
State lobbyists' spending topped $37M in 2014
Michigan lobbyists spent more than $37 million in 2014 but reporting thresholds conceal who is benefitting from much of their largesse. Citizens should have a right to know how lobbyists are spending money to influence public officials.
- Press Release: State lobbyists' spending topped $37M in 2014
- Top 200 Michigan Lobbyists, 2014
- Lobbyists' Supplemental Nutrition Assistance for Politicians, 2014
Constitutional executives' campaigns: $70.5M
Michigan's campaigns for governor, attorney general and secretary of state cost $70.5 million. The candidates' committees accounted for just 35% of that spending in the gubernatorial campaign, and most of the ads you saw for governor and attorney general were not reported to the State of Michigan. Look at the sad facts that make Michigan the Dark Money Capital of American Politics.
- Press Release: Constitutional executives' campaigns: $70.5M
- Constitutional Executive Candidates' Campaign Finance Summary
- Campaign Finance Summary, Michigan Gubernatorial Campaign
- Campaign Finance Summary, Michigan Attorney General Campaign
Michigan legislator campaigns: $42M
Michigan's 2014 campaigns for state legislators cost $42 million. Yet in a third of those campaigns one major-party candidate didn't even bother to raise money. Take a look at the patchy competition and see whether it makes you think G-E-R-R-Y-M-A-N-D-E-R.
- Press Release: Michigan's 2014 legislator campaigns: $42M
- Campaign Finance Summary, 2014 Michigan Senate Candidates
- Campaign Finance Summary, 2014 Michigan House Candidates
Michigan Supreme Court campaign: $10.3M
For the third consecutive election cycle Michigan had the most expensive, least transparent judicial election campaign in America. We are an outlier when it comes to judicial selection, and that's not a compliment. Michigan is the Dark Money Capital of Judicial Elections.
- Press Release: Michigan's 2014 Supreme Court Campaign: $10.3M
- Campaign Finance Summary, 2014 Michigan Supreme Court Candidates
- Campaign Finance Summary, 2014 Michigan Supreme Court Campaign